PHOENIX — The calendar is creating challenges for the Salvation Army.
The late Thanksgiving means five fewer days for the charity’s Red Kettle Campaign to reach its $1.9 million donation goal in the Valley.
“We’re just over 30 percent behind,” said Major Raewyn Aspetia.
She said the Red Kettle Campaign funds over half of their operations throughout the year.
“That includes providing food for people, shelter, a lot of social services to people in need. Helping pay electric bills, rent, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners and gifts to thousands of kids at Christmas time.”
According to a press release, the Salvation Army said the loss of five days equates to potentially $670,000 less than in previous years. Nationally, the group said it equates to a potential loss of $20 million.
The Salvation Army has 350 kettles across the Valley with donations being accepted through Christmas Eve. You can also donate online at salvationarmyphoenix.org or call (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769).
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.