PHOENIX — The calendar is creating challenges for the Salvation Army.
The late Thanksgiving means five fewer days for the charity’s Red Kettle Campaign to reach its $1.9 million donation goal in the Valley.
“We’re just over 30 percent behind,” said Major Raewyn Aspetia.
She said the Red Kettle Campaign funds over half of their operations throughout the year.
“That includes providing food for people, shelter, a lot of social services to people in need. Helping pay electric bills, rent, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners and gifts to thousands of kids at Christmas time.”
According to a press release, the Salvation Army said the loss of five days equates to potentially $670,000 less than in previous years. Nationally, the group said it equates to a potential loss of $20 million.
The Salvation Army has 350 kettles across the Valley with donations being accepted through Christmas Eve. You can also donate online at salvationarmyphoenix.org or call (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769).
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy