PHOENIX — The calendar is creating challenges for the Salvation Army.
The late Thanksgiving means five fewer days for the charity’s Red Kettle Campaign to reach its $1.9 million donation goal in the Valley.
“We’re just over 30 percent behind,” said Major Raewyn Aspetia.
She said the Red Kettle Campaign funds over half of their operations throughout the year.
“That includes providing food for people, shelter, a lot of social services to people in need. Helping pay electric bills, rent, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners and gifts to thousands of kids at Christmas time.”
According to a press release, the Salvation Army said the loss of five days equates to potentially $670,000 less than in previous years. Nationally, the group said it equates to a potential loss of $20 million.
The Salvation Army has 350 kettles across the Valley with donations being accepted through Christmas Eve. You can also donate online at salvationarmyphoenix.org or call (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769).
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night