PHOENIX — The calendar is creating challenges for the Salvation Army.
The late Thanksgiving means five fewer days for the charity’s Red Kettle Campaign to reach its $1.9 million donation goal in the Valley.
“We’re just over 30 percent behind,” said Major Raewyn Aspetia.
She said the Red Kettle Campaign funds over half of their operations throughout the year.
“That includes providing food for people, shelter, a lot of social services to people in need. Helping pay electric bills, rent, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners and gifts to thousands of kids at Christmas time.”
According to a press release, the Salvation Army said the loss of five days equates to potentially $670,000 less than in previous years. Nationally, the group said it equates to a potential loss of $20 million.
The Salvation Army has 350 kettles across the Valley with donations being accepted through Christmas Eve. You can also donate online at salvationarmyphoenix.org or call (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769).
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development