MESA, Ariz. — Police announced Tuesday that a man has been arrested on suspicion of killing a 14-year-old Mesa girl and dumping her body in a dumpster.
Thirty-one-year-old Alex Anthony Madrid, a family friend, was arrested Friday and charged Tuesday in the death of Claudia Ann Lucero.
Madrid, a construction worker, originally was arrested on a probation violation
and other charges last Friday. Mesa Police Chief Frank Milstead said police wanted to keep Madrid off
the streets until investigators could determine if he was linked to the teen’s
“Over the past some weeks, he had been estranged from the family,” said Milsteadt. “It was known to detectives that Claudia was afraid of Alex. He had inappropriately touched her, on occasion.”
The body of Lucero was found early Friday. Police said at a news conference that Claudia Ann Lucero was
sexually assaulted and died by strangulation.
Two women digging through the trash container for aluminum cans at the Sun
Garden Apartments discovered the body.
A resident of the complex told Phoenix TV station KPHO that she heard shouting
about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.
Shortly after that, two people ran upstairs and knocked on her door asking to
use her phone to call police because they said there was a body in a trash
container, the unidentified woman said.
Landato said the teen was last seen at about 6:30 a.m. Thursday at her Mesa
home. The girl’s mother reported her as a possible runaway at 10 p.m. Thursday.
Milstead said DNA evidence taken from Madrid matches
“biological evidence left behind.”
Madrid was charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping, sexual conduct with a minor, molestation of a child, child abuse, sexual abuse, concealment of a dead body and tampering with physical evidence.
Milstead said he wants Maricopa County prosecutors to seek the death penalty.
KTAR’s Bob McClay and Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets