PHOENIX — An hourslong standoff in a Phoenix hospital ended with a gunman’s surrender early Monday morning.
Phoenix police said an armed man barricaded himself in a bathroom at Phoenix Baptist Hospital, after he had allegedly pulled a knife on officers.
Officers were able to take the knife away from Ryan J. McEwen, 25, but then heman pulled out a gun and aimed at a hospital worker before escaping and locking himself in the bathroom.
Officers had been called to the site at 19th Avenue and Bethany Home Road because of reports of a trespasser around 2:30 a.m.
The emergency room was evacuated.
McEwen finally gave up around 6 a.m. and was booked into jail on suspicion of criminal damage and
disorderly conduct with a weapon.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development