PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is warning Valley residents to beware of scammers who are impersonating MCSO deputies.
The scammers have reportedly called victims and threatened to arrest them for unpaid tickets unless they purchase a prepaid Green Dot Moneypak card and give them the access code.
Officer Chris Hegstrom with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said real deputies would never do that.
“No law enforcement agency requires payment of traffic fines to be wired,” said Hegstrom. “We don’t require credit card information or any of that over the telephone just to avoid arrest.”
Hegstrom said he is unsure of just how many people have fallen victim to the scam.
If anyone receives a call seeking payment, Hegstrom said to immediately hang up and call the police.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments