PHOENIX — A man was shot by Phoenix police Friday evening after he attacked officers with an axe at an apartment complex.
Sgt. Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Department said officers were called to a home near 26th Avenue and Camelback Road about a man swinging an axe at another person. When they confronted the suspect, Isaac Lankisch, he began swinging his axe at the officers.
“He had several other edged weapons, including a knife, which he threw at the officers,” said Thompson.
After being shot, Lankisch, 42, was taken to a local hospital where he later died of his injuries. No
officers were injured.
The name of the officer involved in the shooting was not released.
The shooting is being investigated by the Violent Crimes Bureau and the
Professional Standards Bureau of the Phoenix Police Department.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night