PHOENIX — In 1990, Norris Barker was in a bad spot in his life.
“I was a bitter person after a divorce and I had a business in Wichita, Kan. and I lost that business,” he said.” I lost all the possession I felt were important to me.”
Barker talked to a friend who ferried planes to different African nations and decided to tag along. It was on that trip his life changed forever.
“Since the moment I met him at the International Trade Center in Johannesburg, I fell in love with (Nelson) Mandela,” he said.
“I modeled myself after him. He’s my role model. He’s my mentor and he’s my idol.”
Barker was lucky enough to meet the recently-freed Mandela and his then-wife, Winnie on Oct. 7, 1990.
“He changed my life,” Barker said.
Having already fallen for South Africa, Barker traveled the rest of the continent. He’s been to a total of 16 African nations, is a South African citizen and his wife hails from South Africa. Barker also owns a business there.
Barker, who now lives in Carefree, Ariz., still has numerous ballots from the 1994 election that saw Mandela elected as the nation’s first black president following nearly 30 years in captivity.
“I’ve been selling these for 20 years now,” Barker said. “I still have a lot of ballots left.”
Barker donated several framed ballots during a ceremony for the first statue of Mandela in the United States.
While the Carefree math teacher said he was “saddened” by Thursday’s news of Mandela’s death, he said the legacy of “Madiba,” as Mandela was known, will live on.
“Mandela is going to be in my memory forever. He’s changed my life personally and I know he’s changed the lives of millions and millions of other people, not just in South Africa, but all through Africa.”
To learn more about Barker, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food