PHOENIX — In 1990, Norris Barker was in a bad spot in his life.
“I was a bitter person after a divorce and I had a business in Wichita, Kan. and I lost that business,” he said.” I lost all the possession I felt were important to me.”
Barker talked to a friend who ferried planes to different African nations and decided to tag along. It was on that trip his life changed forever.
“Since the moment I met him at the International Trade Center in Johannesburg, I fell in love with (Nelson) Mandela,” he said.
“I modeled myself after him. He’s my role model. He’s my mentor and he’s my idol.”
Barker was lucky enough to meet the recently-freed Mandela and his then-wife, Winnie on Oct. 7, 1990.
“He changed my life,” Barker said.
Having already fallen for South Africa, Barker traveled the rest of the continent. He’s been to a total of 16 African nations, is a South African citizen and his wife hails from South Africa. Barker also owns a business there.
Barker, who now lives in Carefree, Ariz., still has numerous ballots from the 1994 election that saw Mandela elected as the nation’s first black president following nearly 30 years in captivity.
“I’ve been selling these for 20 years now,” Barker said. “I still have a lot of ballots left.”
Barker donated several framed ballots during a ceremony for the first statue of Mandela in the United States.
While the Carefree math teacher said he was “saddened” by Thursday’s news of Mandela’s death, he said the legacy of “Madiba,” as Mandela was known, will live on.
“Mandela is going to be in my memory forever. He’s changed my life personally and I know he’s changed the lives of millions and millions of other people, not just in South Africa, but all through Africa.”
To learn more about Barker, click here.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development