PHOENIX — It’s a sweet sight to behold: The Valley’s largest gingerbread masterpiece is now on display at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa.
“Each year, it’s gotten bigger and bigger and bigger,” said Head Pastry Chef Joshua Cain. “I wanted to take the display in a new direction. Everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to do life-sized, but once I showed them the process, everyone was on board.”
After three months of planning and with the assistance of 16 pastry cooks, the resort is filled with the tantalizing smell of gingerbread.
“Just seeing the kids’ faces when they come in is amazing,” said Cain.
The sweet display features 13 four-feet by six-feet gingerbread houses plus a clock tower in Santa’s Christmas Village, including elves wrapping presents for those who have been good this year.
The 1,500-square-foot display was made using 4,000 pounds of gingerbread cookie dough, 3,240 gingerbread bricks used to frame and shingle the roofs of the gingerbread houses, 2,000 pounds of icing and 750 pounds of sugar.
Santa’s elves will make appearances at the Santa’s Christmas Village display at JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort while it is open to the public through Dec. 28 in the resort’s grand lobby, The resort is located at 5350 E. Marriott Drive in Phoenix.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America