PHOENIX — It’s a sweet sight to behold: The Valley’s largest gingerbread masterpiece is now on display at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa.
“Each year, it’s gotten bigger and bigger and bigger,” said Head Pastry Chef Joshua Cain. “I wanted to take the display in a new direction. Everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to do life-sized, but once I showed them the process, everyone was on board.”
After three months of planning and with the assistance of 16 pastry cooks, the resort is filled with the tantalizing smell of gingerbread.
“Just seeing the kids’ faces when they come in is amazing,” said Cain.
The sweet display features 13 four-feet by six-feet gingerbread houses plus a clock tower in Santa’s Christmas Village, including elves wrapping presents for those who have been good this year.
The 1,500-square-foot display was made using 4,000 pounds of gingerbread cookie dough, 3,240 gingerbread bricks used to frame and shingle the roofs of the gingerbread houses, 2,000 pounds of icing and 750 pounds of sugar.
Santa’s elves will make appearances at the Santa’s Christmas Village display at JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort while it is open to the public through Dec. 28 in the resort’s grand lobby, The resort is located at 5350 E. Marriott Drive in Phoenix.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night