PHOENIX — It’s a sweet sight to behold: The Valley’s largest gingerbread masterpiece is now on display at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa.
“Each year, it’s gotten bigger and bigger and bigger,” said Head Pastry Chef Joshua Cain. “I wanted to take the display in a new direction. Everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to do life-sized, but once I showed them the process, everyone was on board.”
After three months of planning and with the assistance of 16 pastry cooks, the resort is filled with the tantalizing smell of gingerbread.
“Just seeing the kids’ faces when they come in is amazing,” said Cain.
The sweet display features 13 four-feet by six-feet gingerbread houses plus a clock tower in Santa’s Christmas Village, including elves wrapping presents for those who have been good this year.
The 1,500-square-foot display was made using 4,000 pounds of gingerbread cookie dough, 3,240 gingerbread bricks used to frame and shingle the roofs of the gingerbread houses, 2,000 pounds of icing and 750 pounds of sugar.
Santa’s elves will make appearances at the Santa’s Christmas Village display at JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort while it is open to the public through Dec. 28 in the resort’s grand lobby, The resort is located at 5350 E. Marriott Drive in Phoenix.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development