SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — One went to Stanford. The other went to Arizona State University.
As the Pac-12 Championship game approaches, the matchup is creating quite the father-son rivalry at home, and at the law firm.
In Bob Boatman’s Scottsdale law office, there are plenty of old pictures and sports memorabilia from his time playing ball at Stanford.
“I graduated in 1981. I was there during the John Elway, Bill Walsh era,” said Bob, who still wears his old Stanford baseball hat.
Down the hall, his son, Matt, wears his old Sun Devil travel sweatshirt. Matt graduated from ASU in 2010, and like his father, played ball for his school — sort of.
“I was on the team, but I never played. But for what it’s worth, I played football at ASU,” said Matt.
Either way, Matt is rooting for the Sun Devils, and Bob is going for the Cardinal.
“I think it’s going to be about 35-21 Stanford,” said Bob.
“I’m going to say ASU sneaks out a close one 38-35,” said Matt.
Whoever loses has to wear the opposing team’s jersey around the office.
More importantly, Bob and Matt hope they get a chance to watch the game. Their office holiday party is right in the middle of the 5:45 kickoff, and there won’t be any televisions.
“It’s whether we abandon the firm party or spend the night watching our phones,” said Bob.
“No, I am going to abandon the firm party,” said Matt.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.