SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — One went to Stanford. The other went to Arizona State University.
As the Pac-12 Championship game approaches, the matchup is creating quite the father-son rivalry at home, and at the law firm.
In Bob Boatman’s Scottsdale law office, there are plenty of old pictures and sports memorabilia from his time playing ball at Stanford.
“I graduated in 1981. I was there during the John Elway, Bill Walsh era,” said Bob, who still wears his old Stanford baseball hat.
Down the hall, his son, Matt, wears his old Sun Devil travel sweatshirt. Matt graduated from ASU in 2010, and like his father, played ball for his school — sort of.
“I was on the team, but I never played. But for what it’s worth, I played football at ASU,” said Matt.
Either way, Matt is rooting for the Sun Devils, and Bob is going for the Cardinal.
“I think it’s going to be about 35-21 Stanford,” said Bob.
“I’m going to say ASU sneaks out a close one 38-35,” said Matt.
Whoever loses has to wear the opposing team’s jersey around the office.
More importantly, Bob and Matt hope they get a chance to watch the game. Their office holiday party is right in the middle of the 5:45 kickoff, and there won’t be any televisions.
“It’s whether we abandon the firm party or spend the night watching our phones,” said Bob.
“No, I am going to abandon the firm party,” said Matt.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon