SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — One went to Stanford. The other went to Arizona State University.
As the Pac-12 Championship game approaches, the matchup is creating quite the father-son rivalry at home, and at the law firm.
In Bob Boatman’s Scottsdale law office, there are plenty of old pictures and sports memorabilia from his time playing ball at Stanford.
“I graduated in 1981. I was there during the John Elway, Bill Walsh era,” said Bob, who still wears his old Stanford baseball hat.
Down the hall, his son, Matt, wears his old Sun Devil travel sweatshirt. Matt graduated from ASU in 2010, and like his father, played ball for his school — sort of.
“I was on the team, but I never played. But for what it’s worth, I played football at ASU,” said Matt.
Either way, Matt is rooting for the Sun Devils, and Bob is going for the Cardinal.
“I think it’s going to be about 35-21 Stanford,” said Bob.
“I’m going to say ASU sneaks out a close one 38-35,” said Matt.
Whoever loses has to wear the opposing team’s jersey around the office.
More importantly, Bob and Matt hope they get a chance to watch the game. Their office holiday party is right in the middle of the 5:45 kickoff, and there won’t be any televisions.
“It’s whether we abandon the firm party or spend the night watching our phones,” said Bob.
“No, I am going to abandon the firm party,” said Matt.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain