PHOENIX — A 3-year-old boy has died after being struck by a vehicle Wednesday night.
The accident occurred as the young boy was being pushed in a stroller by his older sister crossing the street at North 20th Street and East Camelback Road in Phoenix.
“They were crossing the crosswalk with other family members. There was the mother, the children’s grandmother and another sibling,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said.
As the family was crossing the street, Martos said they believe a pickup truck travelling northbound on 20th Street made a left turn onto Camelback Road and struck the boy.
“The child became lodged underneath this pickup truck,” Martos said. “When our officers arrived on scene they immediately began CPR on this child.”
Martos said a bystander, who is a physician, also tried to assist officers as they gave medical attention to the boy.
The Phoenix Fire Department arrived and transported the child to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Martos said the investigation will continue for some time and police have detained the driver of the truck who stayed at the scene after the collision.
“We have currently a lot of restrictions in that particular area until we can conclude our scene investigation,” he said. “We have detained the driver at this point and are currently going through the process of determining if in fact the male driver was impaired during this collision.”
Martos said no one else was injured and the family was crossing the street inside the crosswalk. He said they also believe the family had the right of way and were not crossing against the light.
“It’s an unfortunate situation,” Martos said. “We’re talking about a family … likely shopping for the Christmas holiday and unfortunately now they have a 3-year-old boy who has lost his life.”
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck