PHOENIX — A 3-year-old boy has died after being struck by a vehicle Wednesday night.
The accident occurred as the young boy was being pushed in a stroller by his older sister crossing the street at North 20th Street and East Camelback Road in Phoenix.
“They were crossing the crosswalk with other family members. There was the mother, the children’s grandmother and another sibling,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said.
As the family was crossing the street, Martos said they believe a pickup truck travelling northbound on 20th Street made a left turn onto Camelback Road and struck the boy.
“The child became lodged underneath this pickup truck,” Martos said. “When our officers arrived on scene they immediately began CPR on this child.”
Martos said a bystander, who is a physician, also tried to assist officers as they gave medical attention to the boy.
The Phoenix Fire Department arrived and transported the child to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Martos said the investigation will continue for some time and police have detained the driver of the truck who stayed at the scene after the collision.
“We have currently a lot of restrictions in that particular area until we can conclude our scene investigation,” he said. “We have detained the driver at this point and are currently going through the process of determining if in fact the male driver was impaired during this collision.”
Martos said no one else was injured and the family was crossing the street inside the crosswalk. He said they also believe the family had the right of way and were not crossing against the light.
“It’s an unfortunate situation,” Martos said. “We’re talking about a family … likely shopping for the Christmas holiday and unfortunately now they have a 3-year-old boy who has lost his life.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon