PHOENIX — A 3-year-old boy has died after being struck by a vehicle Wednesday night.
The accident occurred as the young boy was being pushed in a stroller by his older sister crossing the street at North 20th Street and East Camelback Road in Phoenix.
“They were crossing the crosswalk with other family members. There was the mother, the children’s grandmother and another sibling,” Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said.
As the family was crossing the street, Martos said they believe a pickup truck travelling northbound on 20th Street made a left turn onto Camelback Road and struck the boy.
“The child became lodged underneath this pickup truck,” Martos said. “When our officers arrived on scene they immediately began CPR on this child.”
Martos said a bystander, who is a physician, also tried to assist officers as they gave medical attention to the boy.
The Phoenix Fire Department arrived and transported the child to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Martos said the investigation will continue for some time and police have detained the driver of the truck who stayed at the scene after the collision.
“We have currently a lot of restrictions in that particular area until we can conclude our scene investigation,” he said. “We have detained the driver at this point and are currently going through the process of determining if in fact the male driver was impaired during this collision.”
Martos said no one else was injured and the family was crossing the street inside the crosswalk. He said they also believe the family had the right of way and were not crossing against the light.
“It’s an unfortunate situation,” Martos said. “We’re talking about a family … likely shopping for the Christmas holiday and unfortunately now they have a 3-year-old boy who has lost his life.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments