PHOENIX — Some education advocates will head out next month on a cross-country train tour that will make a stop in Tucson.
School choice supporters will board a train in Newark, NJ on Jan. 26 for a 14-city tour to talk about school choice. That same train will stop at the Old Tucson studios in Tucson on Jan. 29.
It’s part of the fourth Annual National School Choice Week. Event President Andrew Campanella said Arizona is a leader when it comes to school choice.
“Arizona was one of the first states to offer a robust public charter school law, and they now are pioneering Education Savings Accounts, which are also called Empowerment Scholarship Accounts,” Campanella said. “Next to Florida, Arizona has more kids involved in school choice programs than any other state in the country.”
He said that the Tucson stop will be a celebration.
“You’ll hear from students who are benefitting from school choice, as well as teachers and parents,” said Campanella. “The goal is really to show people the real life success stories of the broader school choice movement.”
The Whistle Stop tour is part of 5,000 nationwide events that will happen during National School Choice Week, which is Jan. 26 through Feb. 1.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life