PHOENIX — Some education advocates will head out next month on a cross-country train tour that will make a stop in Tucson.
School choice supporters will board a train in Newark, NJ on Jan. 26 for a 14-city tour to talk about school choice. That same train will stop at the Old Tucson studios in Tucson on Jan. 29.
It’s part of the fourth Annual National School Choice Week. Event President Andrew Campanella said Arizona is a leader when it comes to school choice.
“Arizona was one of the first states to offer a robust public charter school law, and they now are pioneering Education Savings Accounts, which are also called Empowerment Scholarship Accounts,” Campanella said. “Next to Florida, Arizona has more kids involved in school choice programs than any other state in the country.”
He said that the Tucson stop will be a celebration.
“You’ll hear from students who are benefitting from school choice, as well as teachers and parents,” said Campanella. “The goal is really to show people the real life success stories of the broader school choice movement.”
The Whistle Stop tour is part of 5,000 nationwide events that will happen during National School Choice Week, which is Jan. 26 through Feb. 1.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night