PHOENIX — Some education advocates will head out next month on a cross-country train tour that will make a stop in Tucson.
School choice supporters will board a train in Newark, NJ on Jan. 26 for a 14-city tour to talk about school choice. That same train will stop at the Old Tucson studios in Tucson on Jan. 29.
It’s part of the fourth Annual National School Choice Week. Event President Andrew Campanella said Arizona is a leader when it comes to school choice.
“Arizona was one of the first states to offer a robust public charter school law, and they now are pioneering Education Savings Accounts, which are also called Empowerment Scholarship Accounts,” Campanella said. “Next to Florida, Arizona has more kids involved in school choice programs than any other state in the country.”
He said that the Tucson stop will be a celebration.
“You’ll hear from students who are benefitting from school choice, as well as teachers and parents,” said Campanella. “The goal is really to show people the real life success stories of the broader school choice movement.”
The Whistle Stop tour is part of 5,000 nationwide events that will happen during National School Choice Week, which is Jan. 26 through Feb. 1.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.