PHOENIX — If you drink too much this New Year’s Eve or just want to avoid the road, Valley Metro will be offering free rides on both the bus and light rail.
Valley cities are teaming up with Valley Metro, Coors Light and Crescent Crown Distributing to create the free ride program, called Freeze the Keys, from 7 p.m. New Year’s Eve to 2 a.m. New Year’s Day.
Chandler City Councilwoman Trinity Donovan thinks a lot of people will climb on board for the free rides.
“We estimate that over 35,000 residents and visitors will be using transit on New Year’s Eve to get to their destinations,” Donovan said. “This is the first time ever that free rides have been extended to the entire valley transit system.”
An official said the rides are designed to keep everyone out of harm’s way.
“Celebrating safely this New Year’s Eve is free and easy,” said Bubba Moffett, owner of Crescent Crown Distributing. “Just jump on any of Valley Metro’s light rail or buses, and they’ll get you home safely.”
Light rail fare inspectors will provide additional security.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier