PHOENIX — Arizona is still a few years away from a full economic recovery, but the state should see a small uptick next year, an Arizona State University professor said.
Director of the JP Morgan Chase Economic Outlook Center at ASU’s W.P. Carey School of Business Lee McPheters said Arizona ranks seventh nationally in job growth, up from 49th in 2010. That growth is giving him a good feeling about next year.
“You look at finance, wholesale trade and construction.”
McPheters said personal income is expected to grow from 4 percent next year to 5.5 percent next year.
However, it’s not all good news. Arizona’s unemployment rate seems stuck at 8 percent.
“Arizona’s unemployment is the same right now as it was last year at this time and that shows we’re not making a lot of progress on that front,” McPheters said.
Arizona has had seven years of subpar growth and McPheters sees 2014 adding to that trend.
The state has regained 46 percent of the jobs lost in the recession but still has 170,000 jobs to replace.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night