PHOENIX — Arizona is still a few years away from a full economic recovery, but the state should see a small uptick next year, an Arizona State University professor said.
Director of the JP Morgan Chase Economic Outlook Center at ASU’s W.P. Carey School of Business Lee McPheters said Arizona ranks seventh nationally in job growth, up from 49th in 2010. That growth is giving him a good feeling about next year.
“You look at finance, wholesale trade and construction.”
McPheters said personal income is expected to grow from 4 percent next year to 5.5 percent next year.
However, it’s not all good news. Arizona’s unemployment rate seems stuck at 8 percent.
“Arizona’s unemployment is the same right now as it was last year at this time and that shows we’re not making a lot of progress on that front,” McPheters said.
Arizona has had seven years of subpar growth and McPheters sees 2014 adding to that trend.
The state has regained 46 percent of the jobs lost in the recession but still has 170,000 jobs to replace.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns