PHOENIX — Arizona is still a few years away from a full economic recovery, but the state should see a small uptick next year, an Arizona State University professor said.
Director of the JP Morgan Chase Economic Outlook Center at ASU’s W.P. Carey School of Business Lee McPheters said Arizona ranks seventh nationally in job growth, up from 49th in 2010. That growth is giving him a good feeling about next year.
“You look at finance, wholesale trade and construction.”
McPheters said personal income is expected to grow from 4 percent next year to 5.5 percent next year.
However, it’s not all good news. Arizona’s unemployment rate seems stuck at 8 percent.
“Arizona’s unemployment is the same right now as it was last year at this time and that shows we’re not making a lot of progress on that front,” McPheters said.
Arizona has had seven years of subpar growth and McPheters sees 2014 adding to that trend.
The state has regained 46 percent of the jobs lost in the recession but still has 170,000 jobs to replace.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development