PHOENIX — Arizona is still a few years away from a full economic recovery, but the state should see a small uptick next year, an Arizona State University professor said.
Director of the JP Morgan Chase Economic Outlook Center at ASU’s W.P. Carey School of Business Lee McPheters said Arizona ranks seventh nationally in job growth, up from 49th in 2010. That growth is giving him a good feeling about next year.
“You look at finance, wholesale trade and construction.”
McPheters said personal income is expected to grow from 4 percent next year to 5.5 percent next year.
However, it’s not all good news. Arizona’s unemployment rate seems stuck at 8 percent.
“Arizona’s unemployment is the same right now as it was last year at this time and that shows we’re not making a lot of progress on that front,” McPheters said.
Arizona has had seven years of subpar growth and McPheters sees 2014 adding to that trend.
The state has regained 46 percent of the jobs lost in the recession but still has 170,000 jobs to replace.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets