PHOENIX — The Arizona agency that investigated workplace violations related to the deaths of 19 firefighters has recommended a $560,000 fine against the state Forestry Division.
The Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health presented its findings Wednesday to the state Industrial Commission. The agency’s call for penalties and citations are subject to the commission’s final say.
Among the findings were that State Forestry “failed to prioritize strategies consistent with Arizona State Forestry Division — Standard Operational Guideline 701 Fire Suppression and Prescribed Fire Policy.”
The report noted that early on June 30, the day the Granite Mountain Hotshots died, an area that had been designated a safety zone was “known to be” too small for the flames heading toward the firefighters. Air tankers were ineffective against the fire at the Double Bar A Ranch, but firefighters were told to stay until the last minute. This strategy, the report concluded, showed “fire management’s decision-making incorrectly prioritized the non-defensible structures ahead of firefighter safety,” a violation of state and interagency wildland fire policy and procedures.
The forestry division said in a release that it hasn’t reviewed the report and won’t comment. The office also said it “will have an opportunity to meet” with the authors of the report.
A chronology of the investigation listed July 1 as the start date, with ADOSH officials’ visit to the Yarnell Hill Fire incident command post, and concluding Nov. 11 with a request for time cards and firefighter qualifications for state forestry division fire management staff.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon