PHOENIX — The Arizona agency that investigated workplace violations related to the deaths of 19 firefighters has recommended a $560,000 fine against the state Forestry Division.
The Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health presented its findings Wednesday to the state Industrial Commission. The agency’s call for penalties and citations are subject to the commission’s final say.
Among the findings were that State Forestry “failed to prioritize strategies consistent with Arizona State Forestry Division — Standard Operational Guideline 701 Fire Suppression and Prescribed Fire Policy.”
The report noted that early on June 30, the day the Granite Mountain Hotshots died, an area that had been designated a safety zone was “known to be” too small for the flames heading toward the firefighters. Air tankers were ineffective against the fire at the Double Bar A Ranch, but firefighters were told to stay until the last minute. This strategy, the report concluded, showed “fire management’s decision-making incorrectly prioritized the non-defensible structures ahead of firefighter safety,” a violation of state and interagency wildland fire policy and procedures.
The forestry division said in a release that it hasn’t reviewed the report and won’t comment. The office also said it “will have an opportunity to meet” with the authors of the report.
A chronology of the investigation listed July 1 as the start date, with ADOSH officials’ visit to the Yarnell Hill Fire incident command post, and concluding Nov. 11 with a request for time cards and firefighter qualifications for state forestry division fire management staff.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck