PHOENIX — Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said it’s too early to call for anyone’s resignation, as the investigation continues into why Child Protective Services failed to investigate some 6,000 cases.
Some of Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer’s critics say she should call for a special legislative session to look into the matter and that she should fire Department of Economic Security Director Clarence Carter.
Montgomery has a special message to those who are calling for those actions.
“Why don’t you just shut up and be an adult for a change? Let’s go through a process in which we can identify issues, identify the resources necessary to fix it and then make responsible decisions,” he said.
Montgomery said the governor is doing a good job of quickly investigating what went wrong.
“We need to keep in mind that it was just a mere few weeks ago when this problem initially came to light and then was publicly disclosed,” said Montgomery. “The response from a state level bureaucracy, in terms of how bureaucracies usually act, has been at lightning speed.”
The county attorney is hoping that an investigation by the Department of Public Safety will answer a number of questions.
“What permitted this situation to occur? What sort of administrative policies or procedures were in place that allowed someone to think that this was an appropriate way to dispose of cases?” Montgomery remarked.
He added that once that investigation is complete, “we’ll see what the next important steps are.”
Montgomery also said it’s too early to say whether anyone will be prosecuted.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food