While other Arizona ski resorts are open, it looks like those who want to hit the slopes in southern Arizona will have to wait a little bit longer.
Mount Lemmon, near Tucson, is the southern-most ski area in the United States, and already there’s snow on the ground.
“Out of that last storm about a week ago, there’s probably about a foot,” said Mount Lemmon General Manager Graham Davies.
He said some of that has melted off, but this week’s upcoming storm is expected to drop at least eight inches, but skiers still shouldn’t dust off their equipment just yet.
“Eight inches probably still won’t be enough to get open for skiing yet,” Davies said.
Davies said that Mount Lemmon needs to have about 24 inches on the ground, before it can open to skiers. The average opening day is Dec. 20, and Davies hopes to get enough snow to open by then.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again