While other Arizona ski resorts are open, it looks like those who want to hit the slopes in southern Arizona will have to wait a little bit longer.
Mount Lemmon, near Tucson, is the southern-most ski area in the United States, and already there’s snow on the ground.
“Out of that last storm about a week ago, there’s probably about a foot,” said Mount Lemmon General Manager Graham Davies.
He said some of that has melted off, but this week’s upcoming storm is expected to drop at least eight inches, but skiers still shouldn’t dust off their equipment just yet.
“Eight inches probably still won’t be enough to get open for skiing yet,” Davies said.
Davies said that Mount Lemmon needs to have about 24 inches on the ground, before it can open to skiers. The average opening day is Dec. 20, and Davies hopes to get enough snow to open by then.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development