While other Arizona ski resorts are open, it looks like those who want to hit the slopes in southern Arizona will have to wait a little bit longer.
Mount Lemmon, near Tucson, is the southern-most ski area in the United States, and already there’s snow on the ground.
“Out of that last storm about a week ago, there’s probably about a foot,” said Mount Lemmon General Manager Graham Davies.
He said some of that has melted off, but this week’s upcoming storm is expected to drop at least eight inches, but skiers still shouldn’t dust off their equipment just yet.
“Eight inches probably still won’t be enough to get open for skiing yet,” Davies said.
Davies said that Mount Lemmon needs to have about 24 inches on the ground, before it can open to skiers. The average opening day is Dec. 20, and Davies hopes to get enough snow to open by then.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night