PHOENIX — Drive Hammered, Get Nailed.
That’s the message police have for people who are drinking and driving this holiday season, as cops will be out in full force looking for drunk drivers.
The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety says over 80 Arizona law enforcement agencies will take part in over 180 DUI saturation patrols this season.
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said there will be a lot of consequences if you get caught.
“You will spend time in jail. You will spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in fines and fees,” Montgomery said. “In addition to other circumstances, if you drive impaired with children in your car, you will become a felon.”
Marana Police Chief Terry Rozema is commending the cops who will be trying to get drunk drivers off the streets.
“When you have to arrest a guy who is 220 pounds and has a .20 (blood alcohol level), and one minute he’s crying and saying he’s sorry…and the next minute he wants to rip your head off and kill your family…and the next minute he’s fighting you with everything he’s got to keep you from putting him in handcuffs…and the next minute he’s throwing up in your patrol car, that’s not a pleasant experience,” he said.
The police agencies hope that their “don’t drink and drive” campaign will get Arizonans to think twice about drinking and driving, leading to fewer arrests this year.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier