PHOENIX — As they kick off the United Phoenix Firefighters Association’s Annual Coat Drive to benefit homeless children, Valley firefighters say you don’t need a big wallet, just a big heart to help a child in need.
“People tend to think of other countries when we talk about children in need and homelessness, but in reality it’s happening right here,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer. “This is just one small thing that firefighters can do for these children that we run into on a daily basis.”
The annual event is said to be one of the most effective and fastest coat drives in the country.
Firefighters will collect new coats at the Desert Ridge Marketplace at Loop 101 and Tatum Boulevard near the Sandbar Mexican Grill on Dec. 5 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. The coats will be donated to children at the Salvation Army the following day.
Generous donations of coats, from infant to teen sizes, will be accepted, along with cash donations.
If you’re doing holiday shopping at Old Navy, the department store is offering a discount if you mention that the coat you’re purchasing is for the United Phoenix Firefighters Coat Drive.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas