PHOENIX — As they kick off the United Phoenix Firefighters Association’s Annual Coat Drive to benefit homeless children, Valley firefighters say you don’t need a big wallet, just a big heart to help a child in need.
“People tend to think of other countries when we talk about children in need and homelessness, but in reality it’s happening right here,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer. “This is just one small thing that firefighters can do for these children that we run into on a daily basis.”
The annual event is said to be one of the most effective and fastest coat drives in the country.
Firefighters will collect new coats at the Desert Ridge Marketplace at Loop 101 and Tatum Boulevard near the Sandbar Mexican Grill on Dec. 5 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. The coats will be donated to children at the Salvation Army the following day.
Generous donations of coats, from infant to teen sizes, will be accepted, along with cash donations.
If you’re doing holiday shopping at Old Navy, the department store is offering a discount if you mention that the coat you’re purchasing is for the United Phoenix Firefighters Coat Drive.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development