PHOENIX — An usually warm past few days will be coming to an end on Thursday morning, due to a big Canadian cold front.
Winter Storm Cleon will bring freezing temperatures to high country places like Flagstaff, Show Low and the Globe/Miami area. Highs will reach the upper 20s to very low 30s with the lows dropping to the teens through the weekend. Residents are advised to insulate any outdoor pipes and keep their faucets on a slow drip overnight.
Valley lows could hit freezing in some locations during the next few mornings.
“We could dip to the freezing mark in the cold-prone areas like Buckeye, East Mesa, Apache Junction, Surprise, Peoria and other outlying areas,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service.
Dewey said it won’t be cold enough to merit insulating the outdoor water pipes in the Valley, but it will be cold enough that pets are a concern.
“Animals don’t feel the cold until it hits them. We can put on a light jacket and think it’s a little chilly, but for pets, being left out overnight will affect them,” Dewey cautioned. “Bring them indoors.”
Jeff Harper with Harpers Nurseries said the oncoming front will not be as cold as last January, when the Valley had a four-day run of 20-degree temperatures, so he said there’s no need to rush out and buy plant covers or sheets for the shade or citrus trees.
“I would be concerned with tomatoes and pepper plants, along with some tropical plants like bougainvillea,” he said. “They should be covered.”
To cover plants, old sheets, burlap and even cardboard boxes will get the job done.
Another tip for plant preservation will also make yards look festive: Run an old strand of Christmas lights through the plants and place the bulbs around the sensitive ones to help keep them alive.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development