PHOENIX — An usually warm past few days will be coming to an end on Thursday morning, due to a big Canadian cold front.
Winter Storm Cleon will bring freezing temperatures to high country places like Flagstaff, Show Low and the Globe/Miami area. Highs will reach the upper 20s to very low 30s with the lows dropping to the teens through the weekend. Residents are advised to insulate any outdoor pipes and keep their faucets on a slow drip overnight.
Valley lows could hit freezing in some locations during the next few mornings.
“We could dip to the freezing mark in the cold-prone areas like Buckeye, East Mesa, Apache Junction, Surprise, Peoria and other outlying areas,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service.
Dewey said it won’t be cold enough to merit insulating the outdoor water pipes in the Valley, but it will be cold enough that pets are a concern.
“Animals don’t feel the cold until it hits them. We can put on a light jacket and think it’s a little chilly, but for pets, being left out overnight will affect them,” Dewey cautioned. “Bring them indoors.”
Jeff Harper with Harpers Nurseries said the oncoming front will not be as cold as last January, when the Valley had a four-day run of 20-degree temperatures, so he said there’s no need to rush out and buy plant covers or sheets for the shade or citrus trees.
“I would be concerned with tomatoes and pepper plants, along with some tropical plants like bougainvillea,” he said. “They should be covered.”
To cover plants, old sheets, burlap and even cardboard boxes will get the job done.
Another tip for plant preservation will also make yards look festive: Run an old strand of Christmas lights through the plants and place the bulbs around the sensitive ones to help keep them alive.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.