TEMPE, Ariz. — It’s the hottest ticket in town, and the Pac-12 football championship game between Arizona State University and Stanford is expected to generate millions of dollars for Tempe this week.
Although 2,500 tickets were allotted to Stanford fans, the Tempe Tourism Office expected closer to 10,000 will attend the game.
“We expect that the championship game could generate as much as $8 million for our area this weekend,” said Stephanie Nowack, president and CEO of the Tourism Office.
The game is generating a lot of buzz around town, as hundreds of fans waited in lines at the Sun Devil Stadium ticket office Monday.
Nearby, ASU students are camped out for the week, to guarantee their spot in the front row of the student section.
“Even though it’s six days, it’s probably the most-worth- it campout we’ve ever had, so it will make sense in the end,” said junior Ericka Sauerland.
Even without the game, it was going to be a busy weekend in Tempe. The city’s Festival of the Arts runs Friday through Sunday, which means Mill Avenue in downtown will be closed to traffic.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.