TEMPE, Ariz. — It’s the hottest ticket in town, and the Pac-12 football championship game between Arizona State University and Stanford is expected to generate millions of dollars for Tempe this week.
Although 2,500 tickets were allotted to Stanford fans, the Tempe Tourism Office expected closer to 10,000 will attend the game.
“We expect that the championship game could generate as much as $8 million for our area this weekend,” said Stephanie Nowack, president and CEO of the Tourism Office.
The game is generating a lot of buzz around town, as hundreds of fans waited in lines at the Sun Devil Stadium ticket office Monday.
Nearby, ASU students are camped out for the week, to guarantee their spot in the front row of the student section.
“Even though it’s six days, it’s probably the most-worth- it campout we’ve ever had, so it will make sense in the end,” said junior Ericka Sauerland.
Even without the game, it was going to be a busy weekend in Tempe. The city’s Festival of the Arts runs Friday through Sunday, which means Mill Avenue in downtown will be closed to traffic.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development