TEMPE, Ariz. — It’s the hottest ticket in town, and the Pac-12 football championship game between Arizona State University and Stanford is expected to generate millions of dollars for Tempe this week.
Although 2,500 tickets were allotted to Stanford fans, the Tempe Tourism Office expected closer to 10,000 will attend the game.
“We expect that the championship game could generate as much as $8 million for our area this weekend,” said Stephanie Nowack, president and CEO of the Tourism Office.
The game is generating a lot of buzz around town, as hundreds of fans waited in lines at the Sun Devil Stadium ticket office Monday.
Nearby, ASU students are camped out for the week, to guarantee their spot in the front row of the student section.
“Even though it’s six days, it’s probably the most-worth- it campout we’ve ever had, so it will make sense in the end,” said junior Ericka Sauerland.
Even without the game, it was going to be a busy weekend in Tempe. The city’s Festival of the Arts runs Friday through Sunday, which means Mill Avenue in downtown will be closed to traffic.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes