PARIS (AP) – The American Embassy in Paris is asking a French auction house to delay the planned sale of sacred objects from two Native American tribes.
Saturday’s request to the Eve auction house comes a day after a French judge ruled that the sale of 32 Hopi masks can go ahead starting Monday.
The Hopi tribe opposes the use as commercial art of sacred masks that represent their ancestor’s spirits, and has sought to block the sale that also includes and other Native American frescoes and dolls.
In a statement, the embassy said the sale shouldn’t go through without consultation with the Hopi and San Carlos Apache tribes. Calls to the auction house Saturday were not immediately returned.
In April, then-Ambassador Charles Rivkin expressed sadness about a similar mask auction in Paris.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy