PHOENIX — ‘Tis the season to be jolly and sometimes stressed.
All the shopping, cooking and entertaining can be draining. Medical social worker Caren Marshall hears all about it.
“Often in January, we’ll have people come into our clinic just exhausted and maybe having signs of pain and arthritis and depression exaggerated and so much more evident in January,” she said,
Marshall and the physicians at Renovare Wellness by Design are offering a free workshop to help people thrive, rather than survive, the holiday season. Marshall has picked up plenty of tips working there, including sometimes putting herself first.
“If I keep myself really healthy and happy and my mood balanced, then I know everyone around me is going to enjoy the day more, including myself.”
For some people, Marshall said it may be a good idea to start a new holiday tradition.
“Perhaps looking at saying ‘no’ and realizing that it’s actually going to help a lot of people in the long run and not yourself because you might be teaching your children how to approach the holidays in a more sensible way,” she said. “Or you might turn out to be more relaxed yourself.”
Getting enough rest, exercise and eating healthfully are also key. Marshall said she serves a lot of protein and vegetables which keep guests feeling active rather than sluggish.
Renovare Wellness is offering a free class on managing stress and energy on Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m. The center is located at at 18969 N. 83rd Ave., Suite 1, in Peoria.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns