PHOENIX — ‘Tis the season to be jolly and sometimes stressed.
All the shopping, cooking and entertaining can be draining. Medical social worker Caren Marshall hears all about it.
“Often in January, we’ll have people come into our clinic just exhausted and maybe having signs of pain and arthritis and depression exaggerated and so much more evident in January,” she said,
Marshall and the physicians at Renovare Wellness by Design are offering a free workshop to help people thrive, rather than survive, the holiday season. Marshall has picked up plenty of tips working there, including sometimes putting herself first.
“If I keep myself really healthy and happy and my mood balanced, then I know everyone around me is going to enjoy the day more, including myself.”
For some people, Marshall said it may be a good idea to start a new holiday tradition.
“Perhaps looking at saying ‘no’ and realizing that it’s actually going to help a lot of people in the long run and not yourself because you might be teaching your children how to approach the holidays in a more sensible way,” she said. “Or you might turn out to be more relaxed yourself.”
Getting enough rest, exercise and eating healthfully are also key. Marshall said she serves a lot of protein and vegetables which keep guests feeling active rather than sluggish.
Renovare Wellness is offering a free class on managing stress and energy on Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m. The center is located at at 18969 N. 83rd Ave., Suite 1, in Peoria.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon