PHOENIX — A Tempe teacher was arrested Monday on charges that he had a sexual relationship with an underage student.
Joel Calderon, 26, was a student-teacher attending Arizona State University. He was placed in a math classroom at Tempe High School where he met the female victim.
The student and Calderon got to know each other on social media, police said. When school officials learned of the relationship, they contacted police.
It is believed that multiple incidences of sexual contact occurred in Calderon’s home. Police do not believe any contact happened on school grounds.
Police said Calderon admitted to the relationship.
Calderon was charged with six counts of sexual conduct with a minor. More charges could be brought.
Only one victim is known to police. She will not be identified because she is a minor.
Anyone with additional information is asked to contact the Tempe Police Department at (480) 350-8311.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy