PHOENIX — Passengers on a flight that landed at Sky Harbor over the weekend were startled to learn that they may have been exposed to tuberculosis.
The US Airways Express flight from Austin, Texas on Saturday wasn’t allowed to reach the gate and a flight attendant took aside a passenger, gave him a mask and whisked him off the plane. Paramedics boarded shortly after that.
Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine with the Maricopa County Department of Public Health said the Center for Disease Control notified her agency that the individual was on the flight.
A woman on the plane told local TV news that it was suggested that anyone on the plane get a TB shot. There were about 70 people on the plane.
The TSA told flight officials that a passenger had been put on the “no-fly” list for a medical condition, but did not confirm TB.
Maricopa County health officials said the short exposure time made it unlikely the highly infectious disease had spread.
“The only time people are actively contacted for being exposed to tuberculosis on a plane is when they’re on the plane with someone for more than eight hours,” Sunenshine said.
The person removed from the airplane was not actively coughing, which also lessens the risk of infection. Sunenshine said TB spreads when an infected patient coughs near others.
“The chances of getting tuberculosis, unless somebody coughs directly on you, are very low,” she said.
The man taken off the plane has been tested but results could take almost a week.
KTAR’s Holliday Moore contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets