PHOENIX — If the officials who run the Arizona Lottery get their way, you’ll be hearing more about their games. The state lottery wants to spend more of its revenue on marketing and advertising.
According to its five-year strategic plan, the lottery saw a 7 percent revenue increase in the 2013 fiscal year. It generated nearly $700 million during that time; of that amount, nearly $177 million went to public funds and the state legislature.
To meet demand from government groups and funds, lottery officials said lawmakers should allow it to increase its marketing and advertising budget by at least 10 percent a year. State law caps the amount the program can currently spend.
Officials are also concerned about future sales growth. They said instant ticket sales are considered the best predictor of baseline sales trends decreasing from fiscal year 2010 through 2013, with a further drop expected in fiscal year 2014.
To maintain current sales levels, the plan says:
• The lottery will continue to develop and execute an expanded digital strategy to become a more relevant product and brand in the Arizona market.
• The lottery will grow its customer base in the emerging market by building awareness, trust and engagement. For example, it will build the public’s awareness of the value of lottery funding to the state through a “How the Money Helps” campaign.
• The lottery will seek legislative approval of at least a 10 percent increase in the advertising and marketing component of the its budget. This rate of growth would help keep up with increasing costs as described above.
The strategic plan calls for more focus on 21- to 40-year-olds, especially in trying to reach potential and current players through tablets, computers and smartphones.
Click here to see the full plan and a breakdown of where lottery revenue goes.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food