PHOENIX — If the officials who run the Arizona Lottery get their way, you’ll be hearing more about their games. The state lottery wants to spend more of its revenue on marketing and advertising.
According to its five-year strategic plan, the lottery saw a 7 percent revenue increase in the 2013 fiscal year. It generated nearly $700 million during that time; of that amount, nearly $177 million went to public funds and the state legislature.
To meet demand from government groups and funds, lottery officials said lawmakers should allow it to increase its marketing and advertising budget by at least 10 percent a year. State law caps the amount the program can currently spend.
Officials are also concerned about future sales growth. They said instant ticket sales are considered the best predictor of baseline sales trends decreasing from fiscal year 2010 through 2013, with a further drop expected in fiscal year 2014.
To maintain current sales levels, the plan says:
• The lottery will continue to develop and execute an expanded digital strategy to become a more relevant product and brand in the Arizona market.
• The lottery will grow its customer base in the emerging market by building awareness, trust and engagement. For example, it will build the public’s awareness of the value of lottery funding to the state through a “How the Money Helps” campaign.
• The lottery will seek legislative approval of at least a 10 percent increase in the advertising and marketing component of the its budget. This rate of growth would help keep up with increasing costs as described above.
The strategic plan calls for more focus on 21- to 40-year-olds, especially in trying to reach potential and current players through tablets, computers and smartphones.
Click here to see the full plan and a breakdown of where lottery revenue goes.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns