PHOENIX — A long standoff between Phoenix police and an armed man in west Phoenix ended with the suspect shot.
The incident began Sunday morning near 47th Avenue and Baseline Road when police got a call about a man who had been struck in the head with a gun, according to Officer James Holmes with the Phoenix Police Department.
Holmes said the victim was attacked when he tried to help the suspect’s wife or girlfriend while the two were arguing. According to Holmes, the unidentified suspect fled, and a couple hours later, the same officer who responded to the initial call saw a man who fit the suspect’s description among a group of people in a west Phoenix neighborhood.
“(The officer) approaches the suspect, he realizes he was armed at the time of the original incident and he started giving the suspect commands,” Holmes said. “When the suspect did not respond, the officer did draw his service weapon, and at that point, the suspect turned around with his handgun and fired a couple shots at our officer.”
Holmes said the officer took cover, called for backup and the suspect fled. The suspect then barricaded himself in a doghouse.
After nearly four hours, the man emerged from the doghouse with a handgun pointed at officers.
Holmes said that’s when three officers fired at the suspect, who has yet to be identified.
The man was taken to a hospital and remains in extremely critical condition.
KTAR’s Christina Estes contributed to this story.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier