PHOENIX — A long standoff between Phoenix police and an armed man in west Phoenix ended with the suspect shot.
The incident began Sunday morning near 47th Avenue and Baseline Road when police got a call about a man who had been struck in the head with a gun, according to Officer James Holmes with the Phoenix Police Department.
Holmes said the victim was attacked when he tried to help the suspect’s wife or girlfriend while the two were arguing. According to Holmes, the unidentified suspect fled, and a couple hours later, the same officer who responded to the initial call saw a man who fit the suspect’s description among a group of people in a west Phoenix neighborhood.
“(The officer) approaches the suspect, he realizes he was armed at the time of the original incident and he started giving the suspect commands,” Holmes said. “When the suspect did not respond, the officer did draw his service weapon, and at that point, the suspect turned around with his handgun and fired a couple shots at our officer.”
Holmes said the officer took cover, called for backup and the suspect fled. The suspect then barricaded himself in a doghouse.
After nearly four hours, the man emerged from the doghouse with a handgun pointed at officers.
Holmes said that’s when three officers fired at the suspect, who has yet to be identified.
The man was taken to a hospital and remains in extremely critical condition.
KTAR’s Christina Estes contributed to this story.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night