PHOENIX — A long standoff between Phoenix police and an armed man in west Phoenix ended with the suspect shot.
The incident began Sunday morning near 47th Avenue and Baseline Road when police got a call about a man who had been struck in the head with a gun, according to Officer James Holmes with the Phoenix Police Department.
Holmes said the victim was attacked when he tried to help the suspect’s wife or girlfriend while the two were arguing. According to Holmes, the unidentified suspect fled, and a couple hours later, the same officer who responded to the initial call saw a man who fit the suspect’s description among a group of people in a west Phoenix neighborhood.
“(The officer) approaches the suspect, he realizes he was armed at the time of the original incident and he started giving the suspect commands,” Holmes said. “When the suspect did not respond, the officer did draw his service weapon, and at that point, the suspect turned around with his handgun and fired a couple shots at our officer.”
Holmes said the officer took cover, called for backup and the suspect fled. The suspect then barricaded himself in a doghouse.
After nearly four hours, the man emerged from the doghouse with a handgun pointed at officers.
Holmes said that’s when three officers fired at the suspect, who has yet to be identified.
The man was taken to a hospital and remains in extremely critical condition.
KTAR’s Christina Estes contributed to this story.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon