GLENDALE, Ariz. — A woman was hit and killed in a vehicle crash involving a Glendale police officer.
The accident happened Saturday at 67th Avenue and Glendale Avenue. Police say Officer Cody Howard was responding to a non-emergency call when he crashed into a van that turned in front of him.
Glendale police say the van and squad car collided in the intersection and the impact caused the van to land on a corner sidewalk where it hit two pedestrians, a male and a female.
The woman, Glendale resident Dorothy Cochran, was thrown into a parking lot where she was then hit by another car. She was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead. Authorities said she was in her 60s.
The male pedestrian, identified as Glendale resident Elmer Hicks, has suffered life-threatening injuries.
The driver of the van, Glendale resident Robert Escobedo, suffered serious injuries while Howard was also taken to the hospital with what police describe as not life-threatening injuries.
Investigators say there is no indication that Howard was driving with lights and sirens on. Vehicular Crimes Unit detectives are investigating.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier