GLENDALE, Ariz. — A woman was hit and killed in a vehicle crash involving a Glendale police officer.
The accident happened Saturday at 67th Avenue and Glendale Avenue. Police say Officer Cody Howard was responding to a non-emergency call when he crashed into a van that turned in front of him.
Glendale police say the van and squad car collided in the intersection and the impact caused the van to land on a corner sidewalk where it hit two pedestrians, a male and a female.
The woman, Glendale resident Dorothy Cochran, was thrown into a parking lot where she was then hit by another car. She was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead. Authorities said she was in her 60s.
The male pedestrian, identified as Glendale resident Elmer Hicks, has suffered life-threatening injuries.
The driver of the van, Glendale resident Robert Escobedo, suffered serious injuries while Howard was also taken to the hospital with what police describe as not life-threatening injuries.
Investigators say there is no indication that Howard was driving with lights and sirens on. Vehicular Crimes Unit detectives are investigating.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night