PHOENIX — When Metrocenter opened near Interstate 17 and Peoria Avenue 40 years ago, it was on the northern edge of Phoenix.
As the city expanded north, the Metrocenter area became inner city, and crime rates in the area went up. In turn, people’s perceptions of the mall began to change, too.
Now, Metrocenter’s owners are trying to decide the mall’s future.
Carlisle Development took over Metrocenter last year, and is now debating how to revitalize it.
“We will always have the retail component here,” said Carlisle spokeswoman Deb Jecupke. “Some of the other things you could consider having here are good medical complexes and office buildings. All of those things come together over time.”
Jecupke said the developer is also considering other improvements.
“More entertainment components and office components,” said Jecupke. “It’s even been proposed that we would have a great opportunity to do some residential.”
When asked if part of the mall could be sold to a developer that could build new homes on the site, Jecupke said she hasn’t heard such an offer.
“We’re not giving anything up,” she added.
Carlisle has yet to give a date for when it will decide the mall’s future.
“Stay tuned,” Jecupke said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them