TEMPE, Ariz. — Dozens of people in support of Walmart workers, including some from other union shops in the Valley, community activists and Arizona Democratic lawmaker Ruben Gallego, were part of the protest outside of the Walmart on West Elliot Road to demand better pay and benefits for Walmart workers.
Jim Malicki was among those carrying signs that read “People Over Profit” and “Pay us enough to raise a family.”
“They’re (Walmart) not paying employees a livable wage and are taking advantage of middle class America by overworking them and undervaluing the workers,” said Malicki.
Thomas Robles remarked that this protest wasn’t geared toward disrupting Black Friday shoppers, but to make them aware of how Walmart treats its employees.
Robles said Walmart employees are not receiving the benefits and wages they deserve, while the company is raking in billions of dollars.
“It’s causing more wealth inequality and Thanksgiving is no longer a holiday for them. They work all night long and are away from their families,” Robles explained. “Look at what happened in Ohio. Walmart had a food drive to help their own workers. That’s unfair and I’m here in solidarity for these workers.”
Walmart Assistant Manager Patrick Carlen has been with the company 15 years. He said most of his workers are getting at least 33 hours per week and many are getting 40 hours with the holidays here.
“A lot of our associates have been with us for a long time. Even our new hires are making comparative wages to the area around us,” Carlen said. “We compare to what everyone else is making, so we’re all starting at about the equal spot.”
Carlen says Walmart has an open door program for employees to express their concerns and they are willing to work with the employees to resolve issues.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food