GLENDALE — Two accused burglars were caught thanks to the detective work of a 17-year-old Glendale Police Explorer.
The thieves allegedly broke into the vehicle of the parents of the teen on Nov. 3, while they were attending church.
Police say the thieves then made off with the garage door opener and registration of the vehicle, enabling them to locate the house. They then backed their car into the garage and proceeded to knock on the door to see if anyone was home.
“I heard really loud knocking on the door…it was almost like pounding,” said Rebecca [Last name withheld], the teenager who has been a Glendale Police Explorer for the past year. “I was kind of uneasy about that, so I took down the description of the guy.”
Hearing the television and realizing someone may be home, the suspects, Gerardo Ramirez and Jason Wortman, left in a hurry, but not before Rebecca could quickly take down their license plate. At the same time, Rebecca’s parents were also pulling into their cul-de-sac.
“My dad followed them and relayed the make, model and license plate back to me, and they were the same” said Rebecca.
The Glendale Police Department used this information to locate and initiate surveillance on the stolen vehicle.
On Nov. 17, after observing the two suspects driving around to various church parking lots in Sun City, a detective witnessed Ramirez break into another vehicle at a church. At that point, police stopped the vehicle and both men were taken into custody.
Rebecca said she was glad she was home so she could take down the information, but when that knock came, she was a little scared.
But helping stop the thieves was worth it.
“It feels kind of good, to know that I actually helped before they could do the same to someone else,” she said.
Police say both men were charged with three counts of attempted residential burglary and two counts of vehicle burglary.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them