PHOENIX — As Thanksgiving winds down and people hit the roads, experts are warning against drowsy driving.
Drowsy driving contributes to at least 17 percent of fatal crashes, according to Triple-A Arizona.
“In terms of your judgment, your reaction time, your focus, all of those things are going to be impacted when you’re tired,” said Michelle Donati, a spokesperson for Triple-A Arizona.
Donati said driving while tired is the equivalent to driving with a blood alcohol content that is above the legal limit.
In a study done by Triple-A Arizona, 95 percent of drivers said they think it’s unacceptable to drive drowsy, but 28 percent admitted to being so tired in the past month that they had difficulty keeping their eyes open while on the road.
Donati said holiday travelers should switch drivers every few hours and avoid driving through the night.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food