PHOENIX – How about Turkey with a side of latkes?
Jewish families all across the country will be celebrating the rarest of occasions on Thursday, as the first full day of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving fall on the same day.
The last time the two holidays converged like this was in 1888.
“The next time it will happen is, in theory, never,” said Rabbi Levi Levertov with the Chabad of Arizona in Phoenix.
Levertov explains the clash of cultures is only so rare because of how the Jewish calendar works: It follows the lunar cycle, which has 354 days.
“It also has leap years to keep the Jewish holidays in their season, so Passover must be in the spring, for example,” said Levertov. “This year is a leap year where we add a month to make sure our holidays do not fall backward.”
To celebrate, Levertov said he knows of many Jewish families who will be combing the traditional foods of each holiday.
“The best way to celebrate Thanksgiving in the Hanukkah spirit is a deep-fried turkey,” he said. “The reason for that is Hanukkah foods are all about the oil, the miracle of the oil.”
To go even further, he said families can substitute mashed potatoes with latkes, which are deep fried potato pancakes. And instead of pumpkin pie, Levertov suggests sufganiyah, a round, fried, jelly doughnut traditionally eaten on Hanukkah.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food