PHOENIX – How about Turkey with a side of latkes?
Jewish families all across the country will be celebrating the rarest of occasions on Thursday, as the first full day of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving fall on the same day.
The last time the two holidays converged like this was in 1888.
“The next time it will happen is, in theory, never,” said Rabbi Levi Levertov with the Chabad of Arizona in Phoenix.
Levertov explains the clash of cultures is only so rare because of how the Jewish calendar works: It follows the lunar cycle, which has 354 days.
“It also has leap years to keep the Jewish holidays in their season, so Passover must be in the spring, for example,” said Levertov. “This year is a leap year where we add a month to make sure our holidays do not fall backward.”
To celebrate, Levertov said he knows of many Jewish families who will be combing the traditional foods of each holiday.
“The best way to celebrate Thanksgiving in the Hanukkah spirit is a deep-fried turkey,” he said. “The reason for that is Hanukkah foods are all about the oil, the miracle of the oil.”
To go even further, he said families can substitute mashed potatoes with latkes, which are deep fried potato pancakes. And instead of pumpkin pie, Levertov suggests sufganiyah, a round, fried, jelly doughnut traditionally eaten on Hanukkah.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development