After days of preparation, you’ll definitely want to make sure your favorite dishes are kept fresh after your Thanksgiving meal.
Harmony Duport with the Arizona Department of Health Services said it’s important to monitor how long your food has been sitting out.
“Any food that has been left out at room temperature for more than four hours should be discarded,” said Duport. “If it hasn’t been left out for that time, it has to go in the refrigerator and has to be cooled rapidly.”
Duport suggested to cool foods in shallow pans and avoid covering them. Once the food cools down, put a lid on it and store it in the refrigerator. She also warned to avoid keeping leftovers for longer than seven days.
Once that food is in the refrigerator, make sure not to contaminate it with any other meats you might have saved.
“If you have raw meats in the refrigerator, we recommend those are stored towards the bottom,” Duport explained. “Then you would store casseroles or any foods that have been cooked above the raw meats, so that meat doesn’t drip and contaminate ready-to-eat food.”
She added that a good rule of thumb when reheating leftovers is setting a temperature of 165 degrees for 15 seconds in the microwave.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy