A lot of people will spending this holiday weekend putting up their Christmas decorations.
Romey Romero of KTAR’s “Rosey on the House” show says before you climb up to put your outside Christmas lights up, make sure your ladder is safe.
“58 hundred people every year in America end up in the hospital from hanging holiday decorations,” Romero said. Most of the accidents happen on the ladder.
“You want to look for any color fading (on the ladder),” Romero said. “If you see the fiberglass itself, and not just a smooth coat of paint, that’s a very good sign that it’s a weakened ladder and it may be time to replace it.”
As for the lights, you should inspect the strings to make sure they’re not frayed or cracked. That could be a fire hazard.
After the season’s over, Romero says you should make sure the lights are safely stored.
“Buy an extension cord spool to wind them up with at the end of the year,” Romero said. “That way they (the strings of lights) don’t end up in wads. You can spend a lot of time untangling wads.”
He said that by buying the spool, you will have a much easier time putting the lights up next year because you won’t be up on the ladder trying to untangle them.
Another good idea is to follow any manufacturer’s instructions while you are putting up your lights at the beginning of the season, then taking them down after the holidays are over.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier