A lot of people will spending this holiday weekend putting up their Christmas decorations.
Romey Romero of KTAR’s “Rosey on the House” show says before you climb up to put your outside Christmas lights up, make sure your ladder is safe.
“58 hundred people every year in America end up in the hospital from hanging holiday decorations,” Romero said. Most of the accidents happen on the ladder.
“You want to look for any color fading (on the ladder),” Romero said. “If you see the fiberglass itself, and not just a smooth coat of paint, that’s a very good sign that it’s a weakened ladder and it may be time to replace it.”
As for the lights, you should inspect the strings to make sure they’re not frayed or cracked. That could be a fire hazard.
After the season’s over, Romero says you should make sure the lights are safely stored.
“Buy an extension cord spool to wind them up with at the end of the year,” Romero said. “That way they (the strings of lights) don’t end up in wads. You can spend a lot of time untangling wads.”
He said that by buying the spool, you will have a much easier time putting the lights up next year because you won’t be up on the ladder trying to untangle them.
Another good idea is to follow any manufacturer’s instructions while you are putting up your lights at the beginning of the season, then taking them down after the holidays are over.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon