An Arizona State student will be able to pursue graduate studies at the United Kingdom university of her choice on the British government’s dime.
Madeline Sands was named a Marshall Scholar — awarded to up to 40 U.S. students each year — earlier this week, and said in a release that she plans to attend the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Sands graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in anthropology and is expected to graduate in May 2014 with a master’s degree in global health from ASU’s School of Human Evolution and Social Change.
She said she plans to attend medical school after completing her studies in London.
“I’m so honored that the British government … is providing this tremendous opportunity for the advance of scientific research,” Sands said in a press release. “I see myself involved in public health, perhaps at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the World Health Organization.”
In addition to earning several awards during her time at ASU, Sands co-founded Hydrogene, a company that is developing a low-cost system to detect pathogens in water supplies that lead to health problems in developing countries. Hydrogene was selected to participate in the Edson Student Entrepreneur Initiative and also received funding from the 2013 ASU Innovation Challenge.
“The resources, initiative and faculty at ASU allowed me to explore and engage in the world around me,” Sands said. “ASU has all that I could ask for from Barrett, the Honors College to the depth and breadth of opportunities that led to my success.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick