An Arizona State student will be able to pursue graduate studies at the United Kingdom university of her choice on the British government’s dime.
Madeline Sands was named a Marshall Scholar — awarded to up to 40 U.S. students each year — earlier this week, and said in a release that she plans to attend the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Sands graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in anthropology and is expected to graduate in May 2014 with a master’s degree in global health from ASU’s School of Human Evolution and Social Change.
She said she plans to attend medical school after completing her studies in London.
“I’m so honored that the British government … is providing this tremendous opportunity for the advance of scientific research,” Sands said in a press release. “I see myself involved in public health, perhaps at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the World Health Organization.”
In addition to earning several awards during her time at ASU, Sands co-founded Hydrogene, a company that is developing a low-cost system to detect pathogens in water supplies that lead to health problems in developing countries. Hydrogene was selected to participate in the Edson Student Entrepreneur Initiative and also received funding from the 2013 ASU Innovation Challenge.
“The resources, initiative and faculty at ASU allowed me to explore and engage in the world around me,” Sands said. “ASU has all that I could ask for from Barrett, the Honors College to the depth and breadth of opportunities that led to my success.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.