PHOENIX — Phoenix police are getting ready for the holiday rush.
With holiday shopping starting, they’ll be keeping a closer eye on the malls.
“We’re increasing our high-visibility patrols around our shopping centers,” said Phoenix Police Lt. Ben Leuschner. “You’re going to see a lot more enforcement going on with a lot of visibility of our marked patrol cars.”
Leuschner said that they’ll also have plain-clothes officers at the malls, and there are several things that you can do to keep yourself safe.
“Please be aware of your surroundings,” he said. “Please secure your property. Leaving presents in your car is a huge attraction for criminals. That’s what they’re looking for, so please put that out of sight and out of mind.”
Metrocenter and other Phoenix shopping malls will have employees who will escort shoppers to their car if you request it.
Police also encourage shoppers to park in a well-lit spot. If you’re shopping at night, don’t go alone. If someone tries to rob you, let them have your stuff. Nothing is worth risking your life. If someone grabs you, scream, kick and do whatever you can to get away.
Leuschner said if you see anything suspicious at the mall, call police.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes