PHOENIX — Phoenix police are getting ready for the holiday rush.
With holiday shopping starting, they’ll be keeping a closer eye on the malls.
“We’re increasing our high-visibility patrols around our shopping centers,” said Phoenix Police Lt. Ben Leuschner. “You’re going to see a lot more enforcement going on with a lot of visibility of our marked patrol cars.”
Leuschner said that they’ll also have plain-clothes officers at the malls, and there are several things that you can do to keep yourself safe.
“Please be aware of your surroundings,” he said. “Please secure your property. Leaving presents in your car is a huge attraction for criminals. That’s what they’re looking for, so please put that out of sight and out of mind.”
Metrocenter and other Phoenix shopping malls will have employees who will escort shoppers to their car if you request it.
Police also encourage shoppers to park in a well-lit spot. If you’re shopping at night, don’t go alone. If someone tries to rob you, let them have your stuff. Nothing is worth risking your life. If someone grabs you, scream, kick and do whatever you can to get away.
Leuschner said if you see anything suspicious at the mall, call police.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas