PHOENIX — Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema rolled up her sleeves and helped prepare food packages for those in need at the United Food Bank in Mesa on Wednesday.
“As a kid, I was a hungry kid,” said Sinema, who serves Arizona’s 9th Congressional District. “I didn’t have enough food to eat on occasion, so giving back to families who are in need and don’t have enough food to eat is something really close to my heart.”
In Arizona, one in four children live in food insecurity, according to Sinema’s staff, who also volunteered to help. Together with the congresswoman they filled food bags to give out to families on Thanksgiving.
“I think this is a big part of the work that we do in Congress is to give back,” Sinema said. “We have a good partnership with the United Food Bank here in Mesa. They are the largest food bank in our district and they serve literally hundreds of thousands of families each year.”
And they are always looking for more donations.
“The number of families that need turkeys will always exceed the number of turkeys that we have,” she said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development