PHOENIX — Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema rolled up her sleeves and helped prepare food packages for those in need at the United Food Bank in Mesa on Wednesday.
“As a kid, I was a hungry kid,” said Sinema, who serves Arizona’s 9th Congressional District. “I didn’t have enough food to eat on occasion, so giving back to families who are in need and don’t have enough food to eat is something really close to my heart.”
In Arizona, one in four children live in food insecurity, according to Sinema’s staff, who also volunteered to help. Together with the congresswoman they filled food bags to give out to families on Thanksgiving.
“I think this is a big part of the work that we do in Congress is to give back,” Sinema said. “We have a good partnership with the United Food Bank here in Mesa. They are the largest food bank in our district and they serve literally hundreds of thousands of families each year.”
And they are always looking for more donations.
“The number of families that need turkeys will always exceed the number of turkeys that we have,” she said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy