PHOENIX — The U.S. Public Interest Group (PIRG) released Tuesday it’s 28th annual list of toys to avoid giving children for the holiday season.
PIRG is worried about toys that may be too noisy for kids, like the Little Leapfrog phone. When it was played during a press conference Tuesday at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, it didn’t sound that loud. But the toy is intended to be held close to the ear, meaning kids are exposed to sounds as loud as 85 decibels.
“The National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders says that prolonged exposure to 85 decibels and above can cause hearing loss in any age range,” Arizona PIRG’s Shania Shay said. “They advise that close-to-ear toys should not produce continuous noise above 65 decibels.”
The group also said that toys that pose a choking hazard to children under the age of 3 are also available in stores.
Shay said it’s easy to find out if a toy is too small for a young child, and, therefore, a potential choking hazard.
“If a toy or a toy part fits into a toilet paper roll, then it’s too small for a child under three,” she said.
Greenbriar International’s Princess Wand and Hasbro’s Littlest Pet Ship are two toys that PIRG said are choking hazards.
PIRG also said it foun the Captain American soft shield has nearly 30 times the legal amount of lead.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon