PHOENIX — The U.S. Public Interest Group (PIRG) released Tuesday it’s 28th annual list of toys to avoid giving children for the holiday season.
PIRG is worried about toys that may be too noisy for kids, like the Little Leapfrog phone. When it was played during a press conference Tuesday at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, it didn’t sound that loud. But the toy is intended to be held close to the ear, meaning kids are exposed to sounds as loud as 85 decibels.
“The National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders says that prolonged exposure to 85 decibels and above can cause hearing loss in any age range,” Arizona PIRG’s Shania Shay said. “They advise that close-to-ear toys should not produce continuous noise above 65 decibels.”
The group also said that toys that pose a choking hazard to children under the age of 3 are also available in stores.
Shay said it’s easy to find out if a toy is too small for a young child, and, therefore, a potential choking hazard.
“If a toy or a toy part fits into a toilet paper roll, then it’s too small for a child under three,” she said.
Greenbriar International’s Princess Wand and Hasbro’s Littlest Pet Ship are two toys that PIRG said are choking hazards.
PIRG also said it foun the Captain American soft shield has nearly 30 times the legal amount of lead.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise