PHOENIX — The U.S. Public Interest Group (PIRG) released Tuesday it’s 28th annual list of toys to avoid giving children for the holiday season.
PIRG is worried about toys that may be too noisy for kids, like the Little Leapfrog phone. When it was played during a press conference Tuesday at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, it didn’t sound that loud. But the toy is intended to be held close to the ear, meaning kids are exposed to sounds as loud as 85 decibels.
“The National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders says that prolonged exposure to 85 decibels and above can cause hearing loss in any age range,” Arizona PIRG’s Shania Shay said. “They advise that close-to-ear toys should not produce continuous noise above 65 decibels.”
The group also said that toys that pose a choking hazard to children under the age of 3 are also available in stores.
Shay said it’s easy to find out if a toy is too small for a young child, and, therefore, a potential choking hazard.
“If a toy or a toy part fits into a toilet paper roll, then it’s too small for a child under three,” she said.
Greenbriar International’s Princess Wand and Hasbro’s Littlest Pet Ship are two toys that PIRG said are choking hazards.
PIRG also said it foun the Captain American soft shield has nearly 30 times the legal amount of lead.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.