PHOENIX — Three Tucson girls were rescued Tuesday morning after being held captive for as long as two years, and at least several months, city police believe.
Officers were called after two of the girls managed to escape to a neighbor’s home, according to Tucson police Sgt. Chris Widmer. They claimed their stepfather had attempted to assault them with a knife.
Officers located the third girl in a bedroom in the home in the 2800 block of North Estrella Avenue, where they were responding to an domestic violence incident involving a knife.
The girls were 12, 13 and 17, respectively. All were dirty and claimed they hadn’t bathed in four to six months.
“I can assure you we’re doing everything we can to make sure these kids are kept safe,” Gillooly said.
Police said the younger girls were kept in a separate room and had not seen the older sister in two years.
The mother and step-father of the girls were arrested and booked into Pima County Jail, according to a release by the City of Tucson’s public information office.
The couple both face three counts of kidnapping, three counts of emotional abuse of a child and three counts of the physical abuse of a child while Mr. Richter faces an additional count of sexual abuse with a person under 15.
A resident who has lived in the neighborhood for about five years told the Arizona Daily Star that she didn’t know anyone was living in the home, which is set back from the street.
The woman said there was no visible activity at the house, but other neighbors had told her that they had heard what sounded like children playing inside the house at night.
The Star reported that police removed plastic bags containing evidence from the home and what appeared to be a computer.
The investigation is still ongoing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development