PHOENIX — It’s a rivalry everyone in Arizona is familiar with and now two mayors are in on the action.
In a Tuesday press release, the city of Tempe said Mayor Mark Mitchell and Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild have placed a friendly bet on Saturday’s Territorial Cup matchup between Arizona State University and the University of Arizona.
The mayors made the same bet as last season: The loser must treat the winner to lunch in the winning mayor’s city while wearing the winning team’s jersey. The loser must also give the winner a six-pack of a locally-brewed beer.
Last year, Rothschild treated Mitchell to lunch at Four Peaks Brewery after ASU’s victory.
“I am looking forward to the big game and seeing the Territorial Cup kept in its rightful place in Tempe,” Mitchell said in the release. “And I’ll be happy to dine with Mayor Rothschild in a Sun Devils jersey for the second year in a row.”
The rivalry has already started between the teams’ respective fans. Last week, ASU’s “A” Mountain had a new coat of red paint, one of the Wildcats’ colors. This week, a statue in Tucson had a coat of yellow paint and “ASU” written on it.
The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets