PHOENIX — It’s a rivalry everyone in Arizona is familiar with and now two mayors are in on the action.
In a Tuesday press release, the city of Tempe said Mayor Mark Mitchell and Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild have placed a friendly bet on Saturday’s Territorial Cup matchup between Arizona State University and the University of Arizona.
The mayors made the same bet as last season: The loser must treat the winner to lunch in the winning mayor’s city while wearing the winning team’s jersey. The loser must also give the winner a six-pack of a locally-brewed beer.
Last year, Rothschild treated Mitchell to lunch at Four Peaks Brewery after ASU’s victory.
“I am looking forward to the big game and seeing the Territorial Cup kept in its rightful place in Tempe,” Mitchell said in the release. “And I’ll be happy to dine with Mayor Rothschild in a Sun Devils jersey for the second year in a row.”
The rivalry has already started between the teams’ respective fans. Last week, ASU’s “A” Mountain had a new coat of red paint, one of the Wildcats’ colors. This week, a statue in Tucson had a coat of yellow paint and “ASU” written on it.
The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night