PHOENIX — It’s a rivalry everyone in Arizona is familiar with and now two mayors are in on the action.
In a Tuesday press release, the city of Tempe said Mayor Mark Mitchell and Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild have placed a friendly bet on Saturday’s Territorial Cup matchup between Arizona State University and the University of Arizona.
The mayors made the same bet as last season: The loser must treat the winner to lunch in the winning mayor’s city while wearing the winning team’s jersey. The loser must also give the winner a six-pack of a locally-brewed beer.
Last year, Rothschild treated Mitchell to lunch at Four Peaks Brewery after ASU’s victory.
“I am looking forward to the big game and seeing the Territorial Cup kept in its rightful place in Tempe,” Mitchell said in the release. “And I’ll be happy to dine with Mayor Rothschild in a Sun Devils jersey for the second year in a row.”
The rivalry has already started between the teams’ respective fans. Last week, ASU’s “A” Mountain had a new coat of red paint, one of the Wildcats’ colors. This week, a statue in Tucson had a coat of yellow paint and “ASU” written on it.
The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas