PHOENIX — The countdown is on to the holiday season and the Valley of the Sun United Way is looking for volunteers to read to school children and help create unique winter memories by giving back the community.
The Million Minutes Volunteer Reading Challenge, spearheaded by the United Way’s Women’s Leadership Council, has a bold goal: To read one million minutes by May 2014.
“You can join an existing team or form a new team and find place to read in the community,” said Janet Garcia with United Way. “We have suggestions on our website or you can read at a location of your choice. Parents may also log the minutes spent reading to their children at home.”
According to the United Way, volunteer readers are more important than ever, as a new law takes effect this school year mandating third graders be held back if not at an acceptable reading level by the end of the school year.
For more information, go to vsuw.org/millionminutes.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick