PHOENIX — The countdown is on to the holiday season and the Valley of the Sun United Way is looking for volunteers to read to school children and help create unique winter memories by giving back the community.
The Million Minutes Volunteer Reading Challenge, spearheaded by the United Way’s Women’s Leadership Council, has a bold goal: To read one million minutes by May 2014.
“You can join an existing team or form a new team and find place to read in the community,” said Janet Garcia with United Way. “We have suggestions on our website or you can read at a location of your choice. Parents may also log the minutes spent reading to their children at home.”
According to the United Way, volunteer readers are more important than ever, as a new law takes effect this school year mandating third graders be held back if not at an acceptable reading level by the end of the school year.
For more information, go to vsuw.org/millionminutes.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas