PHOENIX — The countdown is on to the holiday season and the Valley of the Sun United Way is looking for volunteers to read to school children and help create unique winter memories by giving back the community.
The Million Minutes Volunteer Reading Challenge, spearheaded by the United Way’s Women’s Leadership Council, has a bold goal: To read one million minutes by May 2014.
“You can join an existing team or form a new team and find place to read in the community,” said Janet Garcia with United Way. “We have suggestions on our website or you can read at a location of your choice. Parents may also log the minutes spent reading to their children at home.”
According to the United Way, volunteer readers are more important than ever, as a new law takes effect this school year mandating third graders be held back if not at an acceptable reading level by the end of the school year.
For more information, go to vsuw.org/millionminutes.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development