PHOENIX — It will be a holiday to remember for nearly 200 members of Mesa’s Mountain View Toro Marching Band.
After applying three times, the band was invited to perform in this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The band’s assistant director, Adam Risch, said the band will play “Eye of the Tiger” and “The Final Countdown” along the 2.5 mile route, but when they get near the Macy’s store on 34th Street they’ll give New Yorkers — and the nation — a taste of Arizona, courtesy of “Sonoran Desert Holiday” by Ron Nelson.
Risch said they will be shown on national television for a little over a minute.
“We are only the fourth Arizona band ever to make it to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade out of, I think, 80-some years.”
He said members have been practicing during the cooler morning, but the 400 degree difference will be tough.
“We’re bundling up. We have all kinds of thermal underwear to put under our uniforms and suits and things.”
You can catch the Mountain View Toro Marching Band on Thanksgiving morning at 11:33 a.m. on KPNX-TV.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development