PHOENIX — It will be a holiday to remember for nearly 200 members of Mesa’s Mountain View Toro Marching Band.
After applying three times, the band was invited to perform in this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The band’s assistant director, Adam Risch, said the band will play “Eye of the Tiger” and “The Final Countdown” along the 2.5 mile route, but when they get near the Macy’s store on 34th Street they’ll give New Yorkers — and the nation — a taste of Arizona, courtesy of “Sonoran Desert Holiday” by Ron Nelson.
Risch said they will be shown on national television for a little over a minute.
“We are only the fourth Arizona band ever to make it to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade out of, I think, 80-some years.”
He said members have been practicing during the cooler morning, but the 400 degree difference will be tough.
“We’re bundling up. We have all kinds of thermal underwear to put under our uniforms and suits and things.”
You can catch the Mountain View Toro Marching Band on Thanksgiving morning at 11:33 a.m. on KPNX-TV.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck