PHOENIX — ‘Tis the season for holiday parties and that often means socializing with co-workers away from the office.
Don’t let the change in scenery fool you, said Ryan Naylor, founder of LocalWork.com.
“Understand the office party is just an extension of the business day,” he said. “Be sure to dress up to standards.”
Most of us know it’s not a good idea to talk politics, religion or anything too personal at the office party, but Naylor said he often gets asked whether drinking alcohol is okay.
“This is a personal decision and we recommend that you make the decision before you even go to the party. Make sure you limit yourself and take cues from some of your higher-ups. When you’re planning, make sure you bring cash if it’s a cash bar. Make sure you don’t have that awkward moment when you suddenly realize you don’t have cash.”
Naylor said office parties are an easy opportunity to network with people you work with every day and those you rarely or never see in other departments.
“Come with a series of questions to ask your colleagues. ‘What kind of hobbies do you enjoy? What are some activities you like to do on weekends?’ And find similarities that you can draw from.”
If you’re bringing a guest, be sure to introduce and include them in conversations and reach out to your colleagues’ guests.
The biggest tip Naylor offered this year is to put away your phone and focus on faces.
For more tips, go to LocalWork.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food