MESA, Ariz. — The busiest shopping season of the year is about to get underway and this is the time of year that cyber criminals live for.
We’ll all be out with our smart phones and laptops tapping into Wi-Fi and the hackers will be watching. Robert Sollars from Sollars Security Shield said under no circumstances should you be doing your banking out on the run.
“It’s easier for somebody to grab onto a Wi-Fi signal and hijack it and get all of your information.”
Sollars said it’s harder to secure your information on a smartphone because you don’t necessarily have the firewalls that you have at home to prevent being hacked.
“Anything that is hooked up to the Internet or that uses radio frequency waves is vulnerable to being hacked,” said Sollars.
All a hacker has to do is drive by your home with the right equipment and latch onto a signal. Then they’re in your home.
“You have to upgrade the firewalls on your computer and have them activated with a password that nobody is going to crack. The easiest way to make your password tricky is to combine symbols, numbers, letters, uppercase and lowercase.”
While it’s common to leave a computer running, it actually makes things easier for the hacker.
“Unless they have already planted a virus in the computer and then they can remotely turn it on,” Sollars said.
Hackers have cracked into everything from baby monitors to home security systems, garage doors, even Internet-capable televisions trying to get a hold of personal information.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon