MESA, Ariz. — The busiest shopping season of the year is about to get underway and this is the time of year that cyber criminals live for.
We’ll all be out with our smart phones and laptops tapping into Wi-Fi and the hackers will be watching. Robert Sollars from Sollars Security Shield said under no circumstances should you be doing your banking out on the run.
“It’s easier for somebody to grab onto a Wi-Fi signal and hijack it and get all of your information.”
Sollars said it’s harder to secure your information on a smartphone because you don’t necessarily have the firewalls that you have at home to prevent being hacked.
“Anything that is hooked up to the Internet or that uses radio frequency waves is vulnerable to being hacked,” said Sollars.
All a hacker has to do is drive by your home with the right equipment and latch onto a signal. Then they’re in your home.
“You have to upgrade the firewalls on your computer and have them activated with a password that nobody is going to crack. The easiest way to make your password tricky is to combine symbols, numbers, letters, uppercase and lowercase.”
While it’s common to leave a computer running, it actually makes things easier for the hacker.
“Unless they have already planted a virus in the computer and then they can remotely turn it on,” Sollars said.
Hackers have cracked into everything from baby monitors to home security systems, garage doors, even Internet-capable televisions trying to get a hold of personal information.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas