PHOENIX — A civil rights group called on Gov. Jan Brewer to take the blame and fire one of her staff leaders for the thousands of child abuse allegations that went uninvestigated.
Citizens for a Better Arizona stormed the state capitol building on Friday carrying buckets full of pennies. Each one-cent coin represented an abuse case that fell through the cracks.
The group’s leader, Randy Parraz, demanded to speak with the governor, who was not in her office, according to her spokesperson.
During a heated exchange, Parraz called it an outrage that Brewer would not be in her office a day after the Department of Economic Security announced it did not respond to 6,000 cases that came in through the state’s child abuse hotline.
“We want her to call for a special session, because we have a crisis going on in Arizona. No press release is going to solve it, and we want to know if she’s going to fire Mr. Carter,” Parraz said, referring to Clarence Carter, Director of Economic Security.
The governor’s spokesperson echoed Brewer’s comments yesterday and said the state is working around the clock to fix the problem.
After not getting his specific questions answered, Parraz and fellow activists dumped the pennies on a desk in the governor’s office.
He told the staff they could keep the pennies to help pay for the investigation.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee