PHOENIX — A civil rights group called on Gov. Jan Brewer to take the blame and fire one of her staff leaders for the thousands of child abuse allegations that went uninvestigated.
Citizens for a Better Arizona stormed the state capitol building on Friday carrying buckets full of pennies. Each one-cent coin represented an abuse case that fell through the cracks.
The group’s leader, Randy Parraz, demanded to speak with the governor, who was not in her office, according to her spokesperson.
During a heated exchange, Parraz called it an outrage that Brewer would not be in her office a day after the Department of Economic Security announced it did not respond to 6,000 cases that came in through the state’s child abuse hotline.
“We want her to call for a special session, because we have a crisis going on in Arizona. No press release is going to solve it, and we want to know if she’s going to fire Mr. Carter,” Parraz said, referring to Clarence Carter, Director of Economic Security.
The governor’s spokesperson echoed Brewer’s comments yesterday and said the state is working around the clock to fix the problem.
After not getting his specific questions answered, Parraz and fellow activists dumped the pennies on a desk in the governor’s office.
He told the staff they could keep the pennies to help pay for the investigation.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy