PHOENIX — A former LGBT youth and diversity liaison for Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton has been charged with 13 counts of sex crimes with a minor.
Caleb Michael Laieski is accused of having sex with a 14-year-old boy last year. He was 17 at the time, but Arizona law said children under the age of 15 can’t legally consent to sex, even with another minor.
The incident came to light this week when former Phoenix Police Officer Chris Wilson was charged with performing sex acts on two underage boys. Laieski was allegedly one of those boys. His attorney claims that both Laieski and the other boy were, in fact, Wilson’s victims.
When Stanton was asked about the case, the mayor’s public information officer, Christian Palmer, intervened.
“I have a statement on that that we can release,” he said.
“They’ll get you a statement, but basically I can’t comment because it’s an ongoing investigation,” Stanton added.
KTAR later received a statement from Stanton’s office.
“It would be inappropriate for our office to comment on what is an ongoing and very serious criminal matter,” the statement read. “The victims in this case deserve justice, and we have full confidence that the legal system will handle it in an appropriate manner.”
Before receiving the statement, Stanton was asked whether this situation hurts his recent LGBT equality initiatives.
“We have a statement,” he replied. “I can’t comment on that. But I will tell you this: As you know, Phoenix is ranked as one of the very best cities in the country in terms of LGBT friendliness. I think it’s great for business, and we’re very proud of that. It’s completely unrelated to the other issue you brought up. But it’s good for jobs, it’s good for business. It sends a message that we value every person in our community. Showing that you support your diverse population is important for the future of your community.”
Laieski gained national attention in 2011 when he appeared in a documentary about bullying and discussed issues involving gay youth with both President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy