PHOENIX — A former LGBT youth and diversity liaison for Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton has been charged with 13 counts of sex crimes with a minor.
Caleb Michael Laieski is accused of having sex with a 14-year-old boy last year. He was 17 at the time, but Arizona law said children under the age of 15 can’t legally consent to sex, even with another minor.
The incident came to light this week when former Phoenix Police Officer Chris Wilson was charged with performing sex acts on two underage boys. Laieski was allegedly one of those boys. His attorney claims that both Laieski and the other boy were, in fact, Wilson’s victims.
When Stanton was asked about the case, the mayor’s public information officer, Christian Palmer, intervened.
“I have a statement on that that we can release,” he said.
“They’ll get you a statement, but basically I can’t comment because it’s an ongoing investigation,” Stanton added.
KTAR later received a statement from Stanton’s office.
“It would be inappropriate for our office to comment on what is an ongoing and very serious criminal matter,” the statement read. “The victims in this case deserve justice, and we have full confidence that the legal system will handle it in an appropriate manner.”
Before receiving the statement, Stanton was asked whether this situation hurts his recent LGBT equality initiatives.
“We have a statement,” he replied. “I can’t comment on that. But I will tell you this: As you know, Phoenix is ranked as one of the very best cities in the country in terms of LGBT friendliness. I think it’s great for business, and we’re very proud of that. It’s completely unrelated to the other issue you brought up. But it’s good for jobs, it’s good for business. It sends a message that we value every person in our community. Showing that you support your diverse population is important for the future of your community.”
Laieski gained national attention in 2011 when he appeared in a documentary about bullying and discussed issues involving gay youth with both President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns