PHOENIX — Dozens of Phoenix police officers are getting ready to help kids shop for gifts this holiday season.
The third annual “Shop with a Cop” will allow selected children in Phoenix to shop with a police officer on Dec. 17 at the Target store near Christown Spectrum Mall. Breakfast will be served and a Santa dressed in blue will be flown on to the store’s parking lot by a police helicopter.
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said helping children is part of being an officer.
“It’s not just about making an arrest out there,” he said. “It’s about sharing the community needs and the quality of life issues. There’s a number of kids that are in need out there who deserve our support. That’s what this program’s about.”
The kids will be nominated at their individual schools, but the officers themselves will make the final decision on which ones will get the shopping trip.
The event is a cooperative effort between the Phoenix Police Department, the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association and Target stores.
If you would lke to donate to the program, you can do so by writing P.L.E.A. Charities at 1102 W. Adams Street, Phoenix, Ariz., 85007. The phone number is (602) 246-7869.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon