PHOENIX — Dozens of Phoenix police officers are getting ready to help kids shop for gifts this holiday season.
The third annual “Shop with a Cop” will allow selected children in Phoenix to shop with a police officer on Dec. 17 at the Target store near Christown Spectrum Mall. Breakfast will be served and a Santa dressed in blue will be flown on to the store’s parking lot by a police helicopter.
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said helping children is part of being an officer.
“It’s not just about making an arrest out there,” he said. “It’s about sharing the community needs and the quality of life issues. There’s a number of kids that are in need out there who deserve our support. That’s what this program’s about.”
The kids will be nominated at their individual schools, but the officers themselves will make the final decision on which ones will get the shopping trip.
The event is a cooperative effort between the Phoenix Police Department, the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association and Target stores.
If you would lke to donate to the program, you can do so by writing P.L.E.A. Charities at 1102 W. Adams Street, Phoenix, Ariz., 85007. The phone number is (602) 246-7869.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains