Editor’s note: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer released the following statement Thursday after a report said about 6,000 reports of child abuse had not been investigated.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“As governor and as a mother, safeguarding Arizona’s children has been a top priority of mine. That’s why it is not only heartbreaking, but unconscionable to find out that thousands of cases within CPS have gone uninvestigated, potentially involving vulnerable, abused and neglected Arizona children. This is absolutely unacceptable.
“The most urgent priority is to ensure that each one of the children involved in these cases is safe. Every case must be investigated – no exceptions, no excuses. It is not only the right thing, but it is the law.
“I do not want to see the lights off at CPS until this is done.
“I’ve instructed DES Director Carter to immediately investigate each and every case, and to request that the Department of Public Safety conduct an independent, thorough administrative review of these cases and the process that led to this situation.
“DPS is charged with determining precisely how and why this inexcusable failure occurred. There must be accountability in this matter and I will insist on further reforms to make sure that it cannot happen again.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night