PHOENIX — The man considered by many to be the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016 said Thursday he’s not thinking about a White House run.
“I’m two weeks out of a campaign, I’m not looking to start speculating about other campaigns already,” New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said. “We’ve got 2014 to deal with (mid-term elections), that’s what we’re going to deal with.”
Christie is in Phoenix with the Republican Governors Association, the group he formally took leadership of at this gathering.
Christie touched on the topic of immigration, saying the system is broken but he wouldn’t say if he favors a pathway to citizenship or give specifics about possible solutions. But he said Congress needs to get to work.
“They’re going have to see what they can get a majority of votes for in both houses of Congress that the president will sign.”
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is also among those being mentioned as a possible GOP presidential-nominee contender. He believed border security and a 21st-century guest worker program can work hand in hand as pieces of solving the broken immigration system.
“You could work with private sector firms in the employment placement business to contract that could manage a biometric visa program.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths