SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Some residents near the Marriott Camelback Inn Resort may be happy that an old golf course has been renovated in their area.
The 30-year-old Indian Bend Golf Course was flat and had become a danger to their homes.
“The Indian Bend wash runs right through the golf course,” said Rob Bartley, the golf director for the Camelback Golf Club, which is owned by the J.W. Marriott Corporation and is a few miles north of Camelback Inn. He said the course was a hazard to more than just golfers.
“Over the years, the wash had silted over, and when the monsoon rains came, it would sheet-flow,” Bartley said. “We had neighbors on either side of the golf course and we were in danger of flooding their homes.”
The company decided to put the course through a $10 million renovation and rename it Ambiente, which is Spanish for “environment.”
“We went into the Indian Bend wash and lowered the channel and flipped the dirt over to the perimeters and created a rolling, contured course,” Bartley said. “It’s just an extraordinary golf course.”
Bartley said the new 7,000-yard course will have less flooding risk, and will help the game of many golfers.
“If you slice the ball, it actually stays on the golf course,” Bartley said. “We have some homes on the perimeter of the golf course, but those are on the left hand side. So, unless you’re a ‘hooker,’ the homes will be safe. You’ll enjoy the round of golf and the homes will be safe as well.”
Ambiente is now open to both members of a private club and the public, with prices starting at just over $150 per round. It is adjacent to the Padre Golf course at the Camelback Golf Club.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets