PHOENIX — The FAA is now requiring overweight pilots and air traffic controllers to be checked for sleep apnea before they can be medically certified to work.
Patty Day with Valley Sleep Center said it’s time to do the same for long-haul truckers because sleep apnea and obesity go hand-in-hand.
“Put yourself in the other car. The big-rig driver generally will walk away from the accident. I want anybody driving with that much weight behind them to be alert and awake. It would benefit the drivers’ health in the long run and benefit the company that’s paying for health insurance and dealing with claims they have against them.”
The FAA requires pilots and air traffic controllers with a body mass index over 40 to see a sleep expert. Day said it should be an index of 35 for truckers. Currently, there’s no requirement for truckers and many are now coming into her office on their own.
“It scares me to think there are drivers out there who could be falling asleep behind the wheel.”
BMI calculates weight divided by height. For example, a 6-foot tall man with a BMI of 40 would weigh nearly 300 pounds.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments